Tuesday 17 April 2018

An existential crisis

Our first race back in 2013
Do I sell my TT bike?

I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Part of me knows that I will regret it, while another part knows that it will set me free from aiming to go faster, produce more power and get more aero. Of course, I would replace it with another bike; I’m not *that* stupid, but there is quite a large part of me that wants shot of the Argon, and for good.

It’s not the Argon’s fault. It’s been a brilliant first (only?) time trial bike. Comfortable, forgiving, adjustable, it’s been everything that I could wish for.

It’s more to do with what it stands for. Whenever I ride it I’m usually absolutely burying myself on some windswept dual carriageway, sucking down my own snot while attempting to get every last muscle fibre to produce power and I’m just a bit tired of doing that these days. On top of that, I can't keep up in the arms race that is time trialling. At best, I'm around the 50th percentile in any given field, so hardly pulling up trees. I've gone well under 1 hour for 25 miles and under 2 hours for 50. I feel that I have gone just about as far as I want to go with it.

So sell it, or keep it? I could keep it, put drops on it and turn it into an aero road machine, while the Van Nic becomes my tourer/Audax bike? Or, just keep it attached to the turbo while I sort out what I want to do.

 Answers on a postcard please.

No comments:

Post a Comment